Thursday, July 5, 2012

Looking Through New Eyes


I have been wanting to read Demon for a while. Ever since I’ve gotten into this genre actually. Truth be told, I never actually knew what it was about. The cover, the name, it just intrigued me.

That’s how I pick out a lot of my books… By author, by cover, by title. I rarely even make it through the first two sentences (if that) of the blurb on the back. When I do, it sort of ruins it for me. Yes, I usually get more excited to read the book, but now I have a good idea of what’s going to happen. (And since I read so much, I can start plotting out the story line before I leave the bookstore or hit “Check Out” on Amazon.)

I like going in to a book blind. It makes it so much more exciting.

So when I did get Demon and began reading, I jumped right in. Apparently, Tosca Lee felt the same way as I do: just get to the story.  (Even the back cover blurb is a quote from the story.) Immediately we are thrown into the main character’s (Clay) dreary life. The first sentence alerts us that he’s probably not in the prime of his life, “It was raining the night he found me.”

It’s a simple sentence, but if you think about it, it’s almost as alluring as the design on the cover. It brings a lot of questions to mind.

Actually, the book will probably dig up a lot of questions for you. I’ll try to give you a brief intro to the story, and don’t worry, anything I say (as usual) is revealed within the first chapter so it’s not a big secret in any way, shape, or form.

Demon: A Memoir is narrated by Clay, a human, who works at Brooks and Hanover publishing as an editor. The unidentified “he” from the first line is Lucian (again, don’t fret, this is all told in the first chapter), and it’s not hard to guess what type of being he is. Lucian lures Clay into telling him his story. Clay becomes obsessed with Lucian, along with everything he says. Clay’s life is turned inside out as Lucian’s words torment him until Clay finally puts them on paper, with the vague thought of publishing the finished work.

For me, the beginning of the story could have had a little more to it. I felt that it moved too fast. I don’t have an issue with the fact that about two weeks go by in the first couple of chapters, that’s perfectly fine. The issue is that Clay starts to talk about how crazy he’s going. He points out all the weird habits he’s developed and things like that. It isn’t a deal breaker or anything (for this story) but I’m never a big fan when narrators (third or first person) talk about emotions or states of mind or habits before the reader can see them.

I think just one or two more scenes showing Clay’s habits would have been helpful. I find it somewhat disorienting when the main character tells us something we haven’t been able to see yet.

But like I said, it isn’t a deal breaker for Demon because as soon as it happens it’s pretty much over.

Demon is also riddled with comic relief. Well “relief” might not be the right word. For one instance, Lucian and Clay are discussing forgiveness. Lucian makes his opinion clear with a dead cat analogy I don’t think I’ll ever be forgetting. He states something along the lines of that if he kills someone’s cat, and says sorry, it really does nothing at all because frankly, the cat’s still dead. Lucian goes on to make the point that yes, he could buy another one for the owner, but that does nothing as well. Because all he’s accomplished is giving himself another chance to run over a cat - again.

It’s minor, comical passages like this that really make the story fun to read. Besides getting a 180-degree spin on the Creation story, serious moments turn around and make you laugh in a matter of seconds. Yet, the story never loses its weight. 
There’s still an overtone of seriousness that cannot be disparaged.

As I got deeper into the story I appreciated Lee’s work with the Lucian. He wasn’t portrayed as this evil thing that could and would destroy or kill at any moment. Yes, we could tell that he was capable of that… But he was alluring. He was captivating. His talent of story telling was enchanting.

Of course the reader knows he’s dangerous. But it’s not overwhelming. It’s an honest portrayal of how Satan and his followers work; they coerce you into their web.

After seeing how deep Clay gets himself into this mess, I was exuberant at the ending. I’m tempted to tell you how it goes, but I want you to be left with the anticipation.

Plus, who wants to be labeled a spoiler?

On that note, I should end this post before I spill the beans. However, I do recommend reading Demon if you want or need a new outlook on God’s love for us as imperfect beings. Through this book, I’ve been reminded of things I’ve heard since childhood, but I’ve been able to view them with new eyes with this story.

I’ve definitely got a new favorite to add to my lists.

If you want to know more about Tosca Lee (if you don’t already) check out my Crafting the Creeps through Fiction interview her.
http://flirtingwithfear.blogspot.com/2012/06/crafting-creeps-through-fiction_09.html

There, you’ll also find links to her Facebook and Twitter pages, as well as her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment