Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Distinguished Talent of Artful Horror

I’m always intimidated to start a Stephen King novel. I mean, come on, it’s Stephen King.

His books usually take a little time for me to get in the rhythm of reading. You know, that niche you find when you just can’t stop reading. King’s work is heavy; there are a lot of details to take in. It’s not a turn-off, just takes me a bit longer, but I always find it.

I can trust King in the regard.

Bag of Bones was no different. It started off with a slow build; gradually, the true horror of the story revealed itself and didn’t bother to take a break. At first, I kept waiting for the good stuff to happen. I wasn’t upset with the book, I was still compelled to read on, but I felt like King wasn’t dealing out the terrifying factor as fast as he should be. Soon, (and maybe too soon, now that I think about it) I realized I was more scared then I have been from a book in a long time.

I actually put the book down for a minute to comprehend just how scared I was.

All at once I was terrified, amazed, and dumbfounded by Stephen King. He’d done it, once again.

How had he utterly freaked me out without my knowledge?

(I didn’t even know that was possible.)

Suddenly, I found the walk from my bedroom, through our living room, to the bathroom, a tad more than I could handle without sufficient lighting. I found that I became nervous if one of my arms or legs happened to be hanging over the edge of my bed. The last time I felt like that I was 6 years old and my uncle had just brought by his catch of the day (a ginormous blue shark), ergo igniting my life-long fear of sharks. Lying in bed, I was horrified a shark would be tempted out of the floor by one of my dangling limbs.

How had King re-manifested this fear without me even knowing he was doing it?

Subtlety.

The glorious act of subtlety.

Bag of Bones isn’t composed of “believable-only-in-context” terrors or over-the-top horror novelties. It’s strung together by real-life fears and phobias. The horror of Bag of Bones lies in simple occurrences twisted into a wider web of overpowering uneasiness. It’s an astounding take on the quintessential ghost story. Instead of an outrageous monster ransacking a city, King uses small town secrets, refrigerator magnets, thumps from the basement, and connections to those who’ve passed to construct a trap where the reader is progressively (and gently) lured into a fear they can’t escape.

(I don’t even believe in ghosts.)

Bag of Bones takes place in Maine following a man named Mike Noonan. Mike has made a living writing novels and has built quite the life for himself and his wife, Johanna. However, when Jo dies tragically and unexpectedly, Mike is left to his work. Four years later he decides to break away from his life in Derry and moves back to his lake house, Sara Laughs, in Maine. While the change of scenery seems to fix his problems, Mike soon finds himself in that same inescapable trap of fear.

The intricacy of this novel astounds me. For about two-thirds of the book I had absolutely no idea what was going on. I was entangled in a story that unfolded around me, allowing me to see bits and pieces of a great picture still mostly invisible. If you like a good story that leaves you guessing till the last few chapters then definitely pick up a Stephen King novel. His talent for this continues to amaze me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment