Thursday, June 21, 2012

And The Controversy Continues...


Apparently it’s Mike Duran week at Flirting with Fear.

Well, that’s what happens when you drop a rock in still waters. No, the controversies between Horror and Christianity aren’t very still, but I think a lot of people tend to stay pretty silent about it. Except those who write Christian Horror, like for instance, Mike Duran.

“Reasons Christians Don’t Read Horror (And Why They Should)” was the article Duran posted on the blog Speculative Faith. It was posted Friday, and as of Wednesday night, it has already accumulated 85 comments. After the inundation of responses, Duran tweeted that he needed to get a special app alerting him of whenever someone left a mean comment.

See what I mean about dropping a rock?

I feel kind of odd writing this now. Like someone trying to come fashionably late to a party, but instead, they happened to wait too long and now it’s just plain awkward.
Duran starts off talking about the Christians who refuse to read in the Horror genre. I’ll back him up by saying that a lot of the time it’s not just non-believers who seem convinced that Christianity and Horror can’t work together. I’ve received a lot, a LOT of strange looks from Christians when I talk about my interest in Horror.

Though, to be truthful, I do have to admit my fascination with the genre may stretch beyond normalcy.

When Duran mentions the questions posed by those who reject horror, my answer probably wasn’t the right one.

Duran writes, “So why should we voluntarily scare ourselves?” My first instinct was simply… Because it’s fun. The answer popped in my head before I even read the next sentence. While it seems harmless enough, it probably wasn’t the best first impulse I could have had.

The article got me thinking. Do I take this love of fear too far? Is it getting to a twisted or dangerous level?

If you find yourself asking these questions as you read through the article, keep reading. Duran states something that many of us often forget.

“…there’s a difference between what we look at / observe / encounter / ponder and what we choose to embrace. Just reading or watching something horrific does not make us horrible, any more than watching a car accident, robbery, adulterous affair, or elder abuse makes us compliant.

Yes, Duran’s article is straightforward, and may even be taken as harsh. But whether you agree or disagree, the topic deserves a decent amount of thought before replying.

Whether you agree with him or not, he makes some awfully strong points.

In my opinion, I agree with him. Not just because I like reading Horror (and the adrenaline rush from being scared), but because as Christians we can’t ignore everything that isn’t pretty or what makes us cringe a little.

So, if your aversion to the genre of Horror is based purely on your taste and you honestly just don’t like it… Don’t read it. I’m not going to say (and I don’t think Mike Duran would either) that you’re a bad Christian or you’re not actually Christian if you don’t read Horror. Honestly, that’s quite silly. It’s a rare occasion if I pick up a non-fiction book, a romance novel, or even historical fiction. Honestly, I don’t read much else in the Christian Fiction world except Horror. Duran mentions Amish Fiction… It’d have to be one strange day for you to ever catch me reading that stuff. I’m not against it, it’s not because I think the Amish shouldn’t be written about, I just don’t have the taste for it.
My reads have to have that rush, that thrill, that uncertainty of what’s going to happen. 

They have to have the type of exhilaration that only comes from the ups and downs of a Horror or Thriller/Suspense novel.

HOWEVER, if your excuse for not reading Horror is “I’m a Christian” or anything along those lines… I’m not going to tell you you’re wrong. We’re all entitled to our beliefs and personal values. But I ask you to re-consider. Read a couple more articles about the controversy; maybe even pick up a Christian Horror novel.

Mike Duran’s article, “Reasons Christians Don’t Read Horror (And Why They Should)” would be a good place to start. If you’re against it or not, I encourage you to join the conversation. Do a little research on the topic. Find out what’s best for you personally.

That also involves not criticizing those who have found no conviction in reading Horror.

While I did say Duran’s article could be taken has harsh, I think he’s done a good job of pointing out some concrete ideas. (Should I dare to say facts?) As I read his article, I’m glad to see his enthusiasm. The article practically oozes with emotion. Which, most of the time can be a bad thing, but the elements he brings to the conversation are solid enough that the emotion adds an extra level of strength to his argument.

So to answer his final question, “Do you ‘do horror’?” Yes, I do. I love it and I don’t think much would able to stop me from reading it. I love the scare and ever present battle between the good guys and the bad ones. I agree with Duran that while we are supposed to be full of light and overflowing with God’s love, we can’t ignore or deny the fact that there is real evil in the world.

For details on Duran’s ideas, you’re going to have to read the article yourself: http://www.speculativefaith.com/2012/06/15/reasons-christians-dont-read-horror-and-why-they-should/

For more of his writing you can also check out Mike Duran’s blog: http://mikeduran.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment