Saturday, June 9, 2012

Crafting the Creeps through Fiction: Questions for the Authors Who Do It Best


The next author, I actually, have yet to read. Though she has confidently made a name for herself in the world of Horror. Tosca Lee is the author of Demon (definitely on my reading list), Havah, and coming out in February 2013, Iscariot. Lee is also co-authoring the series The Books of Mortals with Ted Dekker. The series includes Forbidden, Mortal (releasing June 5), and Sovereign.


I was surprised (and very thankful) for such a fast return from Lee. She has officially become the second author in my new Crafting the Creeps through Fiction project. Her responses give an interesting insight into her books. Even though I haven’t read her work (except for the beginning of Forbidden), the more I learn about her, the more excited I am to dive into her world.

Each author I interview receives a different set of four questions from my list. These are the questions and answers from Tosca Lee:

1) What is your earliest memory of being afraid?
         “My first memory of being afraid is a bad dream I've had since the cradle-- a sense that all was not well, of scary laughter in the background. It's made me quite paranoid and appeared in almost every novel I've written.”

2) As a writer, do the voices in your head overwhelm you?
         “The voices in my head... no. I only hear them when I'm writing, and they're the voices of characters. Telling me to eat bacon and fatty foods.”

3) Are you ever worried about pushing the "horror envelope" too far?
         “The horror envelope... not really. I don't think there's anything I have thought of or experienced that someone else hasn’t.”

4) Do you believe in outlines? Or letting the story uncover itself?
         “Outlines--definitely. No matter how loose. I have to have one.”

If you want more information on Lee or her work you can check out her Facebook page, Twitter account, or her website.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tosca-Lee/176692373117
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/ToscaLee

No comments:

Post a Comment